Recognising that you need help is the first step in recovering from drug or alcohol addiction. At Zen, we assess all our guests using the DSM-IV Assessment criteria for drug and alcohol dependence [new links]. A ‘Yes’ answer to three or more questions in the DSM-IV criteria within the last 12 months identifies an individual as being dependent on a substance. Do any of the following apply to you?
- Increased tolerance over time
- Withdrawal when stopping use
- An increase in the amount you use over time and use for longer periods
- A desire or repeated attempts to quit or cut down
- Large proportion of time/activity spent using, obtaining and/or recovering
- Social/ occupational/ recreational activities given up or reduced because of use or recovery
- Continued use despite knowledge of adverse consequences
If yes, please discuss this further and to undertake a comprehensive assessment.